Thursday, January 24, 2013

I Wanted


When I was less than two
 I wanted to be changed, fed
And rocked until I slept
To be understood
For everyone reason I wept

When I was five
I wanted to play
Laugh and learn
To pick up something new
At every corner I’d turn

When I was a little more than ten
I wanted to sing and live.
I wanted to be
 more than something 
dreamed or imaginary.

When I was fifteen
I wanted friendship.
To live and dance.
To not fear fate
 Or avoid chance.

When I was twenty
I wanted success.
To carry what I’ve learned.
To touch the future
And not get burned.

When I was twenty five
I wanted love.
To hold hands with hope.
I wanted to survive
The occasional downward slope

Now I’m more than thirty
And I want to be better.
I want the days to be longer.
I want the world
To be kinder and stronger.

And whatever number of years
That may come after this,
I am quite sure
 My list of wants
 will be for more

more love
more hope
more success
more friendship
more life
more laughter
more of me
and more of you.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I'm more than fifty and my list of wants has grown very short. The things on that list, though, I want in abundance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites. Sixty years and more of living has taught me to always give more than I want. I must be doing well because I have all I've ever wanted in my own personal life. Now I want everyone I love ( that's a lot of people) to have all they want, as well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. Please say hi and let me know you were here!

Thank you!