Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Humble Requests





















Edvard Munch "The Girl in the Window" (detail) 1893





She tip-toes toward
the parted curtains,
where this celestial lamp
has come to meet
and unfold her hands,
to carry her humble requests
to a magical place
of mercy and rest.

She does not plead for more
or weep over less;
Only asks to protect
the dreaming souls
who've loved her long
and loved her best;

To wrap the present of this perfect night
in cotton sheets tucked in tight--
with unraveled hair ribbons,
 and slow stretching streams
of a sleepy midnight
 yawning moonbeams.

She hears nothing but
the nodding branches
of each tree's proud approval.

Her lips utter not a single
sung or whispered word;
but a protective breeze
traveling along the glow of her skin
lets her steady pulse know:

That her heart has been answered;
That she has been heard .


Submitted for:
http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2013/08/artistic-interpretations-stillness.html

My Facebook Page:
If you *Like* what you see here, please also stop over and *like* me on facebook!


7 comments:

  1. The way you pull words out and reposition them...such a gift and such a strong emotion you create for your reader. I am the tiniest fly on the wall watching this prayer and feeling sleepy and at peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, I like the idea of her feeling contentment from being heard. The illustration is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do believe I have found my forever favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful poem! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, everybody! So glad you all enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "nodding branches"...

    I often look out at night, see the moon through the trees - swaying gently. I will forever think of them nodding approval, encouragement.

    Sorry I didn't see this earlier - it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. Please say hi and let me know you were here!

Thank you!