Wednesday, March 6, 2013

For Megan



 A poem for my youngest sister


I was lost somewhere between 7 and 8
You, were a bundle of silly,
 spoiled and small
 I was tall
Though not quite reaching the height
to where I could appreciate you

I could count the quarters
 I found between the cushions
yet when it came to your value
It would be years
until I could do that kind of math
And now the equation all makes sense…

Two dimes, a nickel and a penny later
I’m no longer looking for change.
I’m turning to the one that remains
 beside my shoulder.
On cracked cement,
On sand and rocks
Through waves.
Through each year like a breath
That can’t be held for too long

 I proudly watch your wisdom age
though I secretly hope a small part of you
will stay young enough.
Young enough to sometimes need me.
Young enough to always learn.
Young enough to grow older.

Where joy meets a prayer,
my eyes recognize you there.
You, 3rd of 3
Half like one and half like two
Or that’s how I often saw you
Now in the very center of your soul
I see a spark all your own
That only your fingerprints can ignite

In time you’ll leave a blazing path
That will knock the wind out of heaven
And shock the rain too hard to fall
And I’ll be there
with a smile and a tear
Bragging to the stars that I know you.





15 comments:

  1. Again- might be my favorite. Such love and admiration you show for her. What a lucky sister you have to know your special kind of love.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm just as lucky... if not more! I'm very proud of her!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Oops, it's me, Deanna Banana. Signed into another account.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! I just blew my secret blogger profile. Totally worth it to leave you a comment on your wonderful poem. :)

      Delete
  3. This is so wonderful that it took my breath away. Beautiful, beautiful write!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my all time favorite! I wish I could express myself in this way to all the ones I love in this lifetime. I just say I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! So many kinds of love. It's a shame that "true love", usually refers to romantic love. Love that starts at birth, and continues, through our life time (family) envelops us, from the start, and teaches us the most, about relating to each other, being there, and giving back. It's a treasure, for the giver AND receiver. How lucky for us, that appreciate, and acknowledge it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. Please say hi and let me know you were here!

Thank you!